db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Laura Stewart" <scotsmat...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Question for "in place" of SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_INPLACE_COMPRESS_TABLE system procedure
Date Thu, 22 Mar 2007 18:22:46 GMT
On 3/22/07, Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> wrote:
> > The wording what I could not translate was "in place".
>
> I understand this to mean: "in the same file".

I believe that Bryan is correct. The part that contains the phrase is:

This system procedure can be used to force three levels of in-place
compression of a SQL table: PURGE_ROWS, DEFRAGMENT_ROWS, and
TRUNCATE_END. Unlike SYSCS_UTIL.SYSCS_COMPRESS_TABLE(), all work is
done in place in the existing table/index.

So you could translate this to:
"...all of the compression work is performed directly in the existing
table or index."

If you want to change "in-place" you could say:
"...to force three levels of direct compression of a SQL table"

--
Laura Stewart