db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Luigi Lauro <luigi.la...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: JNLPStorageFactory: work started. Some 'half-baked ideas', come on in, don't be shy.
Date Wed, 21 Mar 2007 10:35:42 GMT

On 21 Mar 2007, at 11:16, Andrew McIntyre wrote:

> I know next to nothing about JNLP, but given the URL based nature of
> JNLP resources, I'm wondering if the current URLFile and
> URLStorageFactory could be adapted / extended to meet your needs?

Thanks for the pointer, I will look into it for sure. Are these
classes complete and working?

I had the idea they were half-done implementations, not yet complete
nor working, from a previous post of another user.

Which 'working' implementations are available presently?

> While there are tests that cover this area, if you are looking for
> tests that can be quickly and easily adapted to cover your new JNLP
> storage service, then I think the answer to this is currently no. An
> effort is underway to convert Derby's tests from an old canon-based
> style to an assert style, though, and help in the store area would be
> greatly appreciated. See:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyDev
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTesting
> http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/KillDerbyTestHarness

I was looking for a test suite to test StorageFactory/StorageFile
functionalities.

Something that tests each method to ensure any implementation fully
adhere to specifications, and is working correctly.

I will check those links and see if I can find something usable,
thanks :)

> There is probably a way to load the PersistanceService outside of an
> explicit Java Web Start environment. Those more familiar with JNLP
> would probably be more help here.

I've tried googling this, but to no avail. If someone find info
regarding this matter, please let me know. Making these classes
testable in a easy way (in a standard non-JWS IDE environment) would
speed the development up a lot :)

> Brainstorming is great, but code is better! Please feel free to attach
> anything you have developed, even half-baked, to the JIRA issue you
> opened for this. Patches don't have to be perfect, since they provide
> a basis for further discussion.

I posted nothing because I had nothing. Just a 95% stubbed-out
JNLPStorageFactory, which helped me THINK about what to do and how to
do it.

The real 'product' of my work was the previous post, since I'm still
in the brainstorming/planning phase. However, you can find those
bunch of lines in a JIRA attachment, if you wanna have a look. Not
much to see though.

> Thanks for the great writeup! I hope a lot of these implementation
> details can be captured in the comments and javadoc of the code.
> Keeping these sorts of details in the code makes it easier for those
> working with the code in the future to modify and enhance it.

I will for sure, some comments are already in, and more will surely
come, along with javadoc ones, as long as things start get written
for real. Not much of a point presently in commenting a return true :P

> I would suggest attaching any work you've already done to the JIRA
> issue you've opened. This is the easiest way to allow others in the
> Derby community to collaborate on the code. Also, keeping the
> discussions around the feature on the derby-dev mailing list or in
> JIRA keeps everyone in the development community informed on its
> progress.

I will for sure, from now on :)

> Feel free to post any questions or comments you have to this list, and
> thanks for jumping in and offering something useful to the Derby
> community!

That's what I'm doing :)

Thanks andrew

Luigi