db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Luigi Lauro <luigi.la...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DERBY-2469] First alpha implementation available - help needed :)
Date Tue, 27 Mar 2007 20:43:06 GMT

Something I forgot.

On 27 Mar 2007, at 20:01, David Van Couvering wrote:

>   Perhaps we can provide some feedback to the JNLP folks?

Regarding this, no I don't think we can legitly ask for a more
capable PersistenceService able to save persistent entities with an
explicit hierarchy.

This would go a lot farther than the API goals declare: to provide a
simple cookie-like persistent storage for JWS application.

BUT, we can ask for bug fixing. Current PersistenceService
implementation (com.sun.jnlp.PersistenceServiceImpl) is plagued with
a _NASTY_ bug which cause the 'create' method to throw a dreaded
unforeseen and undocumented ArrayIndexOutOfBoundsException when I try
to create a 256th entity.

This is surely a bug, especially since it's not a storage limit, but
a dumb "new URL[255]" used in a getter method to return the
persistent storage entities. Throw in ArrayList<URL> instead and you
have no bug and not limit.

Since this is so easily fixable (2-3 lines have to change), and since
this would hinders PersistenceService usage for our goals (derby
easily creates 200+ files when you start to create tens of tables), I
seriously hope we can have Sun fix this in the next JVM update.

I've filed a bug but no response yet.

I've also opened a thread on the official java JNLP forum to discuss
the matter, where I provide a test case and an detailed explanation
of the bug, along with the pointed out problem in the JVM source code.

If you can help me out in this crusade, I'll be grateful :D

Read about it here: http://forum.java.sun.com/thread.jspa?
threadID=5152055 (I'm omero, that's my nick)