db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What java compiler does the build default to?
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:24:00 GMT

> I'm still a little confused by JAVA_HOME though, there are two comments
> in BUILDING.txt that state it must be set to the JDK 1.4 used to provide
> the java libraries to build against. Not that it explicitly states that
> one cannot set it to a JDK 6 environment if building the optional JDK 6
> parts.
>
> Can these two comments be removed and instead have something along the
> lines of:
>
>   Set JAVA_HOME to the JDK used to execute ant which by default will
> also provide the Java compiler for the build. This need not be the same
> as the JDK(s) used to provide the libraries that Derby is built against
> (i.e. need not be the same as j14lib or jdk16)

Yes, this is more accurate. There is no need for the runtime libraries
or compiler to be from the same VM. I would modify the first sentence
above slightly:

Set JAVA_HOME to the JDK to be used to execute Ant, which by default
will also provide the Java compiler for the build.

Might also be worth noting that, thanks to the source/target flags,
the VM used to run Ant can be any 1.4+ VM, although you still need to
set the jdk16 property to get JDBC 4 support even if the VM you use to
run Ant is JDK 1.6/6.0.

andrew