db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: What java compiler does the build default to?
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 15:57:50 GMT

> Does this mean ant is calling some java api to the compiler and uses
> $JAVA_HOME as the jar files for the compiler?

Yes, Ant acquires the main compiler class by reflection. See
org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac13 if you're interested.

> (My situation is that JAVA_HOME does not match the JDK 1.4.2 I have
> setup in my ant.properties and I'm wondering which compiler is being used.)

It's whatever JDK is being used to invoke Ant. The easiest way to
determine that is by running 'ant -verbose', it will be third line of
output. Depending on how you invoke ant, it might not be what is in
your PATH or JAVA_HOME. E.g. if you install Apple's Java developer
tools on Mac OS X, then running 'ant' in the shell invokes whatever is
the current base JDK level for Mac OS X, and is not what is in your
PATH or even in JAVA_HOME.

andrew