db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Removal of existing @author tags
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 06:40:32 GMT
On 3/5/07, Saurabh Vyas <Saurabh.Vyas@sun.com> wrote:

> I just tried a simple perl command which removes the @author lines from
> the *.java files in derby source trunk (Well I tried in on Solaris 11)
> Following is the command :
> fierro@~/WS/trunk$ perl -pi -e 's/\@author\s+.*?\n/\n/' `find . -name
> *.java`
>
> I ran this on my sand box and generated a stat file (also an diff file).
> If community agrees on removing the @author tag I will submit the patch
> too, but for a refrence I had attached stat file with this mail.
> Comments / Suggestions ?

While the @author tags might possibly be of some historical interest,
I think they should be removed. Using them is discouraged, and rightly
so, to avoid any illusions of 'code ownership,' and it would be good
if the source reflected that. And if someone is interested in history,
that history is preserved by source control. The real history of any
file, at least as far back as Derby is concerned, can be ascertained
by running 'svn annotate' to see who most recently changed any
particular line of the source.

So, yes, +1 to removing any remaining author tags in the source.

andrew