db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: I need help to delete files attached to a wrong JIRA issue
Date Fri, 02 Mar 2007 19:00:39 GMT
On 3/2/07, Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com <Dyre.Tjeldvoll@sun.com> wrote:

> Is there really a contradiction here? I don't think anyone argues that
> old versions of patches should be deleted. I'm sorry, but I can't see
> how editing an unclear comment or spelling mistake destroys the
> history. Or for that matter removing a patch that was attached to the
> wrong issue by mistake.

The problem is that there is no granularity to JIRA's delete
privilege. If you can delete a comment, you can delete attachments or
whole issues.

> I find the current policy rather draconian and I think a
> common sense approach with clear guidelines cautioning against
> destroying the history would work just as well.

While that holds true for community members, does it hold true for
anyone on the internet with access to JIRA? Probably not.

Until recently, granting delete power was all-or-nothing.
Conveniently, a recent JIRA update introduced the idea of project
roles. With a little work, project roles (PMC member, committer,
contributor) can be assigned, thus restricting delete power to a
reasonable set of community members. I just haven't had time to go
through the derby-developers group in JIRA and assign project roles to
each member. I'll let you know once I do (or Jean or Rick can try and
beat me to it) and you'll be able to delete comments and attachments
again.

andrew