db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Collation feature discussion
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 04:57:02 GMT
Mamta Satoor wrote:
> Before talking about functions, I think it will be better to first talk
> about string literals and their collation determination.
>
> SQL spec section 5.3 <literal>, Syntax Rule 15) says "The declared type
> collation of a <character string literal> is the character set
> collation, and the collation derivation is implicit."
>
> Based on this, when a string literal (collation type UNKNOWN) is getting
> used in a collation method with another operand as UCS_BASIC collation,
> then the collation type of string literal will be UCS_BASIC. Similar
> rule for operand with TERRITORY_BASED. In a case where, collation types
> of all the operands is UNKNOWN, at collation time, it can be assumed to
> be whatever is defined for user defined character columns. This will be
> similar to the example given by Rick for implicit collation type when
> talking about CAST ie
> CREATE TABLE t1 (c11 char(1) default 'a') In this example, the collation
> type of DTD associated with 'a' will be implicitly whatever is defined
> at the database level for COLLATION.
>
> Hope this answers the question about string literals.

Kind of, I looked up the definition of "collation derivation is
implicit" in section 4.2.2 of the standard and at first reading it
wasn't obvious to me what it meant.

I know I suggested the 'collation type UNKNOWN' but I hadn't looked into
  the SQL standard in detail, and now I'm wondering if the UNKNOWN
concept is a good idea. Since the SQL standard already defines a model
for how collations are defined it might be wise to follow the required
model and naming. Not sure what that would mean exactly, but it seems
like each character expression can have a derivation of explicit,
implicit or none. These may be better ways to carry state rather than
unknown. Unless of course there's a clear mapping between unknown and
the sql standard definition.

Dan.