db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Committing new doc files - does svn propset need to be run?
Date Mon, 19 Mar 2007 20:26:21 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> Hi -
>
> In the instructions for creating documentation patches indicates that
> the person who creates a new file, must run svn propset svn:eol-style
> native filepath/filename.
>
> 1. Does the committer of that patch also have to run svn propset after
> they install the patch and add the file to their local svn copy?

actually, the first sep for committing doc patches at
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/dita.html#Committing+documentation+patches
mentions "Don't forget to update your subversion configuration file" --
and the committer getting that set up right is really the key.
Committers really should set their environment up to take care of the
svn:eol-style=native attribute.  If there are any questions on how to do
that, please post them.

At any rate, the patch submitter setting that property really doesn't
have any effect. When you download the patch created on a UNIX machine
to your Windows machine, the 'patch' command converts it to your Windows
format.

> 2. What if a new file was committed without the property being set?
> Can the file be checked out, the property set, and a patch created to
> commit the revision?

Don't create a patch for the propset change.

Do the propset on the same os that the file was originally committed on,
then do the commit. That sends a very small commit record.

I say do it on the same os because if I were, for example, to fix a
Windows file on my linux machine, then a very large commit record would
get sent for every end of line in the file.

> Please see the conversation at the end of derby-1520.  The file that
> is being discussed is the ditamap file.  This is not a new file and it
> is unclear how line breaks could have been introduced into this
> file...

I added a note there, I hope it helps.