db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Mike Matrigali <mikem_...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: Collation feature discussion
Date Sat, 17 Mar 2007 23:46:31 GMT
I'll let someone else summarize.  At this point I have
been convinced by Dan that his proposal is the best way
forward.  And by rick and dan that we should just go
ahead and store column level metadata for the collate
info in the store, as well as in the language level
per column metadata.

The key points that convinced me are:
o Even though we are proposing a "single" collation per
   database, internally we need to support 2 per database to
   do the right thing for system catalogs.  Once there are
   2 we needed support in store to at the very least store
   metadata per conglomerate.

o It looks like dan's proposal makes the runtime creation
   of the collated and non-collated objects easier.  I don't
   understand all the places this affects, but anything that
   makes this easier seems good to me.