db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "John H. Embretsen" <John.Embret...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: What java compiler does the build default to?
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 19:54:42 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 3/14/07, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:
>> Does this mean ant is calling some java api to the compiler and uses
>> $JAVA_HOME as the jar files for the compiler?
> Yes, Ant acquires the main compiler class by reflection. See
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac13 if you're interested.
>> (My situation is that JAVA_HOME does not match the JDK 1.4.2 I have
>> setup in my ant.properties and I'm wondering which compiler is being
>> used.)
> It's whatever JDK is being used to invoke Ant. The easiest way to
> determine that is by running 'ant -verbose', it will be third line of
> output. Depending on how you invoke ant, it might not be what is in
> your PATH or JAVA_HOME. E.g. if you install Apple's Java developer
> tools on Mac OS X, then running 'ant' in the shell invokes whatever is
> the current base JDK level for Mac OS X, and is not what is in your
> PATH or even in JAVA_HOME.

 From this, I take it that ant uses the compiler from the JDK used to
invoke ant, if possible. If it doesn't find a "known" JDK, it looks in
$JAVA_HOME/bin. And the third line of output in any 'ant -verbose' or
'ant -v' command shows the Java version used. But does it also show
which compiler is used?

When I have my PATH set to JDK 1.5, and don't set JAVA_HOME, it reports
the path to the JDK 1.5 jre/ directory. However, when I set JAVA_HOME to
JDK 1.4, it reports the path to the JDK 1.4 jre/ directory instead. In
the latter case, which compiler is used, 1.5 or 1.4?

Sorry for the confusion,

View raw message