db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What java compiler does the build default to?
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 16:32:07 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 3/15/07, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Does that mean that this section from Derby's BUILDING.txt is not
>> required.
>>
>> ------------------
>> (3) Create environment variable JAVA_HOME  to point to the
>>      directory where you have installed JDK 1.4.x. For example:
>>
>>       setenv JAVA_HOME ${jdk14.dir} -- On unix(csh).
>>       export JAVA_HOME=${jdk14.dir} -- On unix(ksh)
>>       set JAVA_HOME=${jdk14.dir}    -- On Windows
>> -------------------
>>
>> If it is required, what does it affect?
>
> It is not an explicit requirement, although it makes sense in the
> context of setting up a shell environment to invoke Ant, which appears
> to be the intent of section 3.1. Depending on your OS, how/where the
> JDK is installed on your machine, and the version of Ant you are
> using, setting JAVA_HOME may not be required for the Ant scripts to
> find your JDK.
>
> The only affect of setting JAVA_HOME is to provide the location of a
> known JDK. If the Ant scripts can't find one in a known location for
> your OS, the scripts look in $JAVA_HOME/bin for a java executable. The
> setting does not affect anything internally in the Derby build.

I added comments to the build.compiler section in BUILDING.txt to
reflect this discussion.

I'm still a little confused by JAVA_HOME though, there are two comments
in BUILDING.txt that state it must be set to the JDK 1.4 used to provide
the java libraries to build against. Not that it explicitly states that
one cannot set it to a JDK 6 environment if building the optional JDK 6
parts.

Can these two comments be removed and instead have something along the
lines of:

  Set JAVA_HOME to the JDK used to execute ant which by default will
also provide the Java compiler for the build. This need not be the same
as the JDK(s) used to provide the libraries that Derby is built against
(i.e. need not be the same as j14lib or jdk16)

??
Thanks,
Dan.