db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Collation implementation WAS Re: Should COLLATION attribute related code go in BasicDatabase?
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 18:45:54 GMT
Mike Matrigali wrote:

> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>> Rick Hillegas wrote:

>>> I believe so. I don't see any rule which requires one collation for
>>> all of the character expressions in an ORDER BY clause. There does
>>> seem to be a rule requiring one collation for both sides of a
>>> comparison, e.g., for both sides of a < operator.
>>

>> I understand ORDER BY with different collations is required, but I
>> meant  are multiple collations required in a single BTREE index, which
>> is where this meta data would be stored. With the plans for DERBY-1478
>> it isn't, with new collations it isn't, with collation per-schema it
>> isn't, so I was wondering what would trigger it? If it's not in the
>> foreseeable future or an option through SQL then I would say a simple
>> single collation will work. Future expansion could change it to be
>> per-column when required.
>
> This is where I get confused.  Are multiple collations required in a
> single database?  With plans for DERBY-1478 it isn't.  With new
> collations it isn't.
> With collation per-schema it is, but should we pay overhead now for a
> possible future, as long as we have a design that supports an upgrade
> path to it?
> I am not seeing the value in the argument for storing it once per
> table vs. once per database today.

That's true. If the store used this per-database value when setting up
the row arrays for an index then the path forward to per-schema
collations would be clear. In that case in the future the store could
override the per-database value with the value from the index meta data.

This would then mean that the default collation type must be stored in
service.properties and thus be available to the store when it boots. The
reading of the attribute logic could continue to be in DataValueFactory
and should work similar to the code Mamta posted earlier.

Dan.