db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: What java compiler does the build default to?
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:19:51 GMT
Andrew McIntyre wrote:
> On 3/14/07, Daniel John Debrunner <djd@apache.org> wrote:
>> Does this mean ant is calling some java api to the compiler and uses
>> $JAVA_HOME as the jar files for the compiler?
> Yes, Ant acquires the main compiler class by reflection. See
> org.apache.tools.ant.taskdefs.Javac13 if you're interested.
>> (My situation is that JAVA_HOME does not match the JDK 1.4.2 I have
>> setup in my ant.properties and I'm wondering which compiler is being
>> used.)
> It's whatever JDK is being used to invoke Ant. The easiest way to
> determine that is by running 'ant -verbose', it will be third line of
> output. Depending on how you invoke ant, it might not be what is in
> your PATH or JAVA_HOME. E.g. if you install Apple's Java developer
> tools on Mac OS X, then running 'ant' in the shell invokes whatever is
> the current base JDK level for Mac OS X, and is not what is in your
> PATH or even in JAVA_HOME.

Thanks Andrew.

Does that mean that this section from Derby's BUILDING.txt is not required.

(3) Create environment variable JAVA_HOME  to point to the
     directory where you have installed JDK 1.4.x. For example:

      setenv JAVA_HOME ${jdk14.dir} -- On unix(csh).
      export JAVA_HOME=${jdk14.dir} -- On unix(ksh)
      set JAVA_HOME=${jdk14.dir}    -- On Windows

If it is required, what does it affect?

View raw message