db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Suspectible swallowing of AssertFailure in BTreeScanInfo
Date Thu, 15 Mar 2007 14:34:27 GMT
Dyre.Tjeldvoll@Sun.COM wrote:
> Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waagan@Sun.COM> writes:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> Work in the access layer revealed something I find a bit disturbing,
>> at least with the way the code looks today. In the constructor of
>> impl.store.access.btree.BTreeScanInfo:
>>
>>         try
>>         {
>>             stat_treeHeight = scan.getHeight();
>>         }
>>         catch (Throwable t)
>>         {
>>             stat_treeHeight = -1;
>>         }
>>
>> I didn't understand why Throwable was caught and ignored, so first I
>> tried to change it to StandardException. This caused the test
>> ddlTableLockMode to fail.  I looked at what was going on, and found
>> this to be thrown from the code above (code modified to print the
>> Throwable):
>>
>> *** Start: ddlTableLockMode jdk1.5.0_11 2007-03-15 13:53:12 ***
>> 48a49,52
>>> org.apache.derby.shared.common.sanity.AssertFailure: ASSERT FAILED
>> ControlRow.Get() is being called on a closed container.
>>> org.apache.derby.shared.common.sanity.AssertFailure: ASSERT FAILED
>> ControlRow.Get() is being called on a closed container.
>>> org.apache.derby.shared.common.sanity.AssertFailure: ASSERT FAILED
>> ControlRow.Get() is being called on a closed container.
>>> org.apache.derby.shared.common.sanity.AssertFailure: ASSERT FAILED
>> ControlRow.Get() is being called on a closed container.
>> Test Failed.
>> *** End:   ddlTableLockMode jdk1.5.0_11 2007-03-15 13:53:21 ***
>
> Out of curiosity; what happens with an insane build?

Nothing I guess... This is the code as it exists today, so I assume it
is behaving as planned. But I think it should be documented/modified,
because the code caught my attention at once when I saw it.

I have not investigated where, or how frequently, the value of
stat_treeHeight is begin used but I *suspect* it is mostly for
statistics anyway.

--
Kristian