db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Thread Aware Issue..!!
Date Wed, 14 Mar 2007 07:36:06 GMT
Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>>     what does it mean by MT and thread aware in the context of java
>> source files..!!
>
> This is a pretty complicated subject. Here's a good place to start:
> http://www.awprofessional.com/bookstore/product.asp?isbn=0201310090&rl=1

I recently read through another book on concurrency, where two
annotations were used to document thread-safety and synchronization
policies. Although we can't use annotations for quite a while yet, we
could use them as comments;

	Class annotations: @Immutable, @TheadSafe, (@NotThreadSafe)
	Field and methods: @GuardedBy("lock object")

These are minimalistic and should be very simple to use.

I find the GuardedBy-annotation very handy, because it tells me what the
developer who wrote the code intended and I can easily follow in the
same trail (for instance when adding another method accessing a
guarded/shared field).

Of course, there might be other approaches to document this as well :)

--
Kristian