db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kathey Marsden <kmarsdende...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Question about prefetch and exceptions
Date Tue, 13 Mar 2007 21:40:28 GMT
With derby client, if  I do a select and the exception occurs on the
third row,  I do not get the first two rows of data.  With embedded I
get the first two rows.  I assume this is because client prefetches the
data, but I wonder if client should report the first two rows of data as
well.

Does anyone have thoughts on whether this is a bug with client or just
an expected behaviour difference?

Thanks

Kathey

Below is an example.

ij version 10.3
ij> connect 'jdbc:derby:wombat'
;

ij> create table test (D DATE, C CHAR(60));
0 rows inserted/updated/deleted
ij> insert into test values(null,null);
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
ij> insert into test values(CURRENT_DATE,CURRENT_DATE);
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
ij> insert into test values(CURRENT_DATE,'aa');
1 row inserted/updated/deleted
with embedded I get two rows before the exception
ij> select NULLIF(D,C) from test;
1
NULL
NULL
ERROR 22007: The syntax of the string representation of a datetime value
is incorrect.

With client the error comes up right away and we don't get results for
the first two rows.