db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Re: Google Summer of Code
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 23:54:13 GMT
Hi, Manish.  My mentoring process went well, but my mentee had a family
emergency and was only able to get his stuff in at the last minute.  I
gave him some minor feedback, he said he wanted to fix it and get it in
even though the summer was over, but I haven't heard from him.

The patch is in JIRA, and I think there is some interest in doing the
necessary work to get the patch into the codeline.  Of course, the
staler the patch gets, the more work to integrate it...

I don't know what happened to the other two.

If I were to give my thoughts about it for this year, it would be to be
very picky about the candidates, in particular to get a sense of how
committed they are to completing the work, and to how achievable their
goals are.

Personally, it was a great experience -- I got to help someone along who
was interested in open source and got exposed to new areas in our code.
  It's too bad the code didn't quite make it in, but that wasn't the
only goal of the effort.

Manish Khettry wrote:
> Could people who were mentors last year share their experience? Did any
> code from the mentees make it to the codeline?
>  I apologize if this information exists in a public place but a quick
> look at the derby wiki was negative.
> */David Van Couvering <david@vancouvering.com>/* wrote:
>     This is happening, and timing is tight. Ross Gardler
>     (rgardler@apache.org) would like to know if you're interested in
>     being a
>     mentor. This is not a commitment to actually mentor, nor is it a
>     guarantee that you'll have a mentee.
>     Ross says:
>     "So, please express your interest in being a mentor by adding yourself
>     to the wiki page at http://wiki.apache.org/general/SummerOfCode2007
>     *AND* by letting me know your GMail account details via a reply to this
>     mail (probably best to make that offlist to keep the noise down)."
>     David
> in 45,000 destinations on Yahoo! Travel
> <http://travel.yahoo.com/hotelsearchpage;_ylc=X3oDMTFtaTIzNXVjBF9TAzk3NDA3NTg5BF9zAzI3MTk0ODEEcG9zAzIEc2VjA21haWx0YWdsaW5lBHNsawNxMS0wNw--

>  > to find your fit.