db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Javadoc - where should Derby users go to find it?
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 23:05:47 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> Currently, the Derby manual (Getting Started with Derby guide) points
> users to the javadoc subdirectory in the location where Derby is
> installed.
>
> The javadoc can also be accessed from this site at Apache.
> http://db.apache.org/derby/javadoc/engine/
> The Web site seems like the alpha version of the manuals (it
> specifically says 10.3 on the site).

http://db.apache.org/derby/javadoc/engine/ is an internals engine doc;
not the published API. It isn't linked from
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html. Since it is internal
information intended for developers, it is linked from
http://db.apache.org/derby/papers/index.html .

> Should there be a place on the Derby Documentation Web page that
> mentions the API Reference (javadoc) and should users be referred to
> the javadoc subdirectory?

The main doc page at http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/index.html has
an "API" link for each release, which corresponds to the javadoc
subdirectory included in the release.

> I am assuming that there should not be any reference to the Apache
> javadoc site since it is not a released version...

I'm not spotting a reference to the Apache javadoc site in the Getting
Started Guide. In any case, we shouldn't include a link to
http://db.apache.org/derby/javadoc/engine/ in documentation intended for
users.

 -jean