db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Patch Review request
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:58:23 GMT
Saurabh Vyas wrote:
> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>> Saurabh Vyas wrote:
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> A gentle request for reviewing patch for DERBY-2262 & DERBY-2280.
>>> These are pending for a long and if any one can spare some time
>>> reviewing these issues.
>>
>> I know I would have looked at these patches if there had been some
>> indication that some tests had been run.
> Do you mean 'derbyall' & junit tests or some extra tests ? BTW I had
> modified DatabaseMetaDataTest.java also to reflect the changes and ran
> jdbcapi suite with JUnit (which ran successfully).

That's great, but how was a committer meant to know you had run any
tests? Neither of those bugs has any comment indicating any tests were run.

> Did I miss something, or do we need to add more subsequent tests? Can
> you please clarify?

Remember committers (like anyone else) are busy people, the easier it is
to review a change and apply it the better. I personally don't have the
time or the inclination to ask which tests were run by the contributor
on every patch that appears, or the time to run tests myself for any
patch I might apply.

See:

http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/PatchAdvice

Dan.