db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Refactoring derby code
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 01:49:18 GMT
Manish Khettry wrote:
> while working on DERBY-681, I came across much code that could benefit
> from refactoring. Most of these were small almost trivial but in the
> end I think it makes the code more tractable and easy to work with and
> I did not add it to the patch because it makes the patch more
> difficult to review.
>
> I was thinking of filing a JIRA issue and adding patches to it which
> hopefully someone can review and commit or is there a better way to do
> it?yer

Hi Manish,

I posted a separate Jira for code-cleanup of code in the access-layer;
DERBY-2359.
In my opinion, code cleanups are important because they make the code
easier to understand, which is crucial in an open-source project.

I think patches should be posted for non-trivial changes. Some
"reservation" should be applied, for instance I generally don't fix
white-space inconsistencies - especially for code lines.
Derby should be rebuilt and ideally derbyall/suites.All be run. Derby
uses some reflection and other features that can fool tools (i.e.
reporting zero usage of a class).

I have another question:
Should cleanup patches generally be merged to the previous release branch?
For instance, one of my patches (not yet committed) renames some methods
starting with uppercase letters.

--
Kristian