db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Kristian Waagan <Kristian.Waa...@Sun.COM>
Subject "dynamic_info" in the access layer
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 10:21:21 GMT
Hello,

This information in this mail is rather incomplete.
However, I have been looking at the access layer lately, trying to get
an overview over the code. I do not quite understand the use of
"dynamic_info", or more precisely if it is still used a lot.

dynamic_info is an object implementing the interface
DynamicCompiledOpenConglomInfo. The interface has no methods or fields.
The only implementing class I have found, is
OpenConglomerateScratchSpace. The methods in this class are being
called, but I have not checked out from where.

I have found only two casts from the interface to the implementing
class. In both cases a new instance of OpenConglomerateScratchSpace will
be created of the passed in dynamic_info is null.
In both cases, the OpenConglomerateScratchSpace is assigned to
this.runtime_mem (in OpenConglomerate and in OpenBTree). At least some
methods in OpenConglomerateScratchSpace is called by getting the
reference stored in runtime_mem, which may or may not come from the
dynamic_info variable.

My question is, will the passed in dynamic_info ever be non-null?
Is this a left-over from earlier days, or is the usage still a crucial
part of the access layer?

If not, the passing of this variable clutters the code. I can observe
that a null is passed explicitly in very many places where methods
accept a DynamicCompiledOpenConglomInfo reference.
I plan to check this at runtime, but if anyone already has the answer,
it would be convenient :)

thanks,
--
Kristian