db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: DERBY-2376 absolute .classpath entries
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 18:52:08 GMT
Aaron J Tarter wrote:

> Has anyone else experienced the pain of using the derby UI plugin with an
> SCM repository?  The .classpath entries added by the "Add Derby Nature"
> menu action reference absolute paths.  This makes it impossible to share eclipse
> projects with Derby natures through an SCM repository like SVN or CVS.

I myself have never once tried to use the Derby UI Plugin, and I do not
anticipate doing so anytime soon (just not something that affects me).  So this
is all completely out of my area.

I'm replying, though, because I'm hoping that by doing so I can get the
attention of other developers who, unlike me, actually know something about the
UI plugin and thus can offer an effective review.  The reason I'm calling this
specific issue out is below...

> I have submitted a patch for this at issue [DERBY-2376].  If you have
> experienced this problem, please comment or vote for the issue.  I think
> this patch has a lot of bang for the buck.  The patch is in standard diff
> format and it is a very low-risk one file change that will fix a very
> annoying problem.

It is my understanding that Aaron is a user of Derby who encountered a problem,
filed a Jira, tracked down the cause, voluntarily shifted into "developer" mode,
fixed the problem, and posted a patch back to the community.

That is, I think, exactly the kind of user process that we want to encourage.

So if there are any developers out there who are familiar with the UI plugin and
who can at least say "sure, probably fine" or "no, probably a bad thing", then I
encourage him/her/them to speak up.  It's a tiny patch so review should be quick...

Army