db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: PreparedStatement.setXXX methods do not set up ContextStack. Is that right and if so, why?
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 17:44:49 GMT
Mamta Satoor wrote:
> Another solution that I have been thinking of is to have the locale
> dependents datatypes by aware of their locale so they can use that
> locale information in their locale sensitive methods. So, for eg, in the
> ij script example that we are discussing, SQLTimestamp in it's
> constructor should get the Locale/LocaleFinder/some other effective
> object (copying Dan's line literally here) and locale sensitive methods
> like setValue can simply find the locale info in it's class itself.
>
> So, in other words, rather than passing the locale info to the locale
> sensitive methods, pass it to the locale sensitive datatype in it's
> constructor and use that locale info in all the locale sensitive methods
> in that datatype class.

I think there are a couple of issues with this approach:

  - the size in memory of each instance of a value (e.g. SQLTimestamp)
will increase. Passing in the value will only increase a single object
(e.g. the activation or language connection context). Imagine a query
that performs a lot of manipulation of timestamp values.

  - How to handling reading the value from disk? Would information about
the locale need to be stored on disk to allow the object to be recreated
correctly? Thus increasing on-disk size? (and upgrade issues?).

Dan.

Dan.