db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Collation feature discussion
Date Mon, 26 Mar 2007 21:13:25 GMT
> Bernt M. Johnsen wrote:
>
> >We should stick to Unicode only. To do otherwise will complicate code
> >and documentation without giving the users a better tool.
>
> In SQL terms this is the "character repertoire", UCS for Unicode
> (section 4.2.4 & 4.2.8).
>
> A SQL character set is more than just a character repertoire (section
> 4.2.7).
>
> Dan.

Thanks for the clarification, Dan. I suppose that nobody suggests we
should support more than one "character repertoire", namely Unicode.

But another issue, since a character set is composed a repertoire, an
encoding and a collation, will not the only encoding supported by
Derby be utf-16, since that is the native encoding of Java strings
(regardless of the fact that Derby for the moment stores string on
disk as utf-8)?

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway