db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Dag.Wan...@Sun.COM (Dag H. Wanvik)
Subject no protection of db boot - intended?
Date Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:47:33 GMT

Working on DERBY-2264, I notice (again) that booting a database is not
protected in any way.  Currently, even when authentication
(derby.connection.requireAuthentication) is turned on, any user can
leave the database in a booted state: If not already booted, the
database potentially needs to be booted to authenticate. However, if
authentication fails, the database is not shut down again. Thus, an
invalid user is allowed to change the database state. I think this is
somewhat surprising for an end user. Is there a reason for this
behavior? If not, I will file a JIRA for fixing it.

Thanks,
Dag