db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Myrna van Lunteren" <m.v.lunte...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Q: Should Derby 10.3 be Derby 11?
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2007 17:27:44 GMT
> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:

> >> Nice one :)
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >> Lars
> >>
> > I thought I saw a comment re asking the user list, but I can't
> > remember seeing one. Did I invent/miss something?
> >
> > Myrna
> Hi Myrna,
>
> David made that suggestion. Dan noted that our conventions don't give
> the user list a decisive say here. I'm a little unclear about what
> question to pose. Perhaps one of these:
>
> 1) Would calling this release 11.0 make it less likely that you would be
> blindsided by these incomatibilities?
>
> 2) Would calling this release 11.0 make it less likely that you would
> install this release?
>
> Regards,
> -Rick

No, the user list doesn't give a decisive say, but seems we're not
decisive right now either... :-)
Yeah, I think those are what we don't know. Maybe make explicit 11.0
instead of 10.3.
Are there other incompatibilities that we've been holding off for
11.0? I don't think so?

I also suspect most developers on the list have kept mum because
(they/we) either
1. really don't care (a rose by another name is still a rose...)
2. find it easier to go with 10.3 because that's what we've been
working on, and we think of version 11 as something that should hold
lots of new functionality, but don't want cause users unnecessary
trouble.

Myrna