db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Raymond Raymond" <raymond_de...@hotmail.com>
Subject Re: How to set the percentage of dirty pages in cache pages?
Date Thu, 08 Feb 2007 15:49:27 GMT
I am doing some tests on Derby checkpoint. You know, with the
same number of cache pages, if the percentage of dirty pages is
higher, deby will dump more pages during checkpoint. I want to
see what impact it will give to Derby's performance when I tune
the percentage of dirty pages higher. As I observed, the default
percentage is like 20%. But I don't know how to set it as the
number I want.

Thanks.

Raymond

>From: Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com>
>To: derby-dev@db.apache.org
>Subject: Re: How to set the percentage of dirty pages in cache pages?
>Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2007 07:27:11 -0800
>
>>Hi, everyone, is there any means to set the percentage of dirty pages
>>in cache pages? I think derby keeps a certain percentage of dirty pages
>>in memory, but I don't know how to change that.
>
>Hi Raymond,
>
>I don't know a direct answer to your question, sorry.
>
>Isn't the amount of dirty pages in the cache something which is
>changing constantly? Why would you want to set it?
>
>Perhaps you mean you want to set some targets for triggering other
>actions that might happen when the amount of dirty pages in the
>cache reaches some level? If so, what are the other actions that
>you want to trigger, and do you feel Derby's current mechanism for
>triggering them isn't adequate?
>
>thanks,
>
>bryan

Your Space. Your Friends. Your Stories. Share your world with Windows Live
Spaces. http://discoverspaces.live.com/?loc=en-CA