db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: broken network startup scripts
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 19:24:02 GMT

> Thanks for the quick response, Andrew. If we go with (4), then we have
> to change our attitude about the startup scripts. Right now they work
> out-of-the-box. With approach (4), they no longer work out-of-the-box.
> Instead, they are templates which have to be customized.

Is adding an argument to the invocation of a script customizing a
template? The script itself need not be edited to start up the server.
Also, as of the moment, I believe this only affects the
startNetworkServer scripts, or did I miss something?

> It would be nice to tell customers how to do this. What do you think:
> should we document this:
>
> a) in comments in the scripts themselves
> b) in the Admin Guide
> c) in the Getting Started Guide
> d) all of the above
> e) something else

Since I've had some time to think about it a little more, I'd vote for
(e): (d) and make the script(s) smarter. e.g. if no arguments were
given to the script and the startNetworkServer initially fails to
start the network server, detect the exit code of 1, print a LOUD
warning, and start the server up with the -noSecurityManager flag.
Still starts the network server up with the behavior of the previous
release, and warns them that the server they just started up is
insecure. What do you think?

andrew