db-derby-dev mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Q: Should Derby 10.3 be Derby 11?
Date Thu, 01 Mar 2007 00:14:25 GMT
I thought we were operating under the assumption that the next release 
was going to go out the door with the incompatibilities listed on the 
10.3 release page: http://wiki.apache.org/db-derby/DerbyTenThreeRelease. 
Up until now this thread has focused on the release name, not altering 
its contents. I thought that the developer community had reached 
consensus that, in these cases, the extra security justifies the 

Are you yourself not comfortable with that decision? Are you 
recommending that we ask the user community whether they agree what has 
been, up until now, the consensus on derby-dev?


David Van Couvering wrote:
> I wanted the question to be more of the form "is compatibility between 
> minor releases more important to you than client/server 
> secure-by-default functionality?" -- with the suspicion that an 
> embedded user doesn't really care about client/server security and 
> thus would opt for compatibility.  But even client/server users may 
> care more about compatibility than increased security.  Just to help 
> us inform our decision here.
> This is assuming, if I understand things right, that the 
> incompatibility arises because we're improving authentication between 
> the network client and the server, with this security enabled by default.
> David
> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>> On 2/28/07, Lars Heill <Lars.Heill@sun.com> wrote:
>>>> Rick Hillegas wrote:
>>>> >
>>>> > Everyone else seemed non-committal. Unless the community 
>>>> continues the
>>>> > discussion and reaches consensus, the decision may be up to the next
>>>> > release manager.
>>>> Nice one :)
>>>> Cheers,
>>>> Lars
>>> I thought I saw a comment re asking the user list, but I can't
>>> remember seeing one. Did I invent/miss something?
>>> Myrna
>> Hi Myrna,
>> David made that suggestion. Dan noted that our conventions don't give 
>> the user list a decisive say here. I'm a little unclear about what 
>> question to pose. Perhaps one of these:
>> 1) Would calling this release 11.0 make it less likely that you would 
>> be blindsided by these incomatibilities?
>> 2) Would calling this release 11.0 make it less likely that you would 
>> install this release?
>> Regards,
>> -Rick

View raw message