db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: A random and unexpected observation...
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:54:06 GMT
Army wrote:
> For no apparent reason whatsoever I just decided to type "open source
> database" (without the quotes) into Google to see what I would get.
>
> To my incredible surprise Apache Derby didn't even make the top 20 pages
> of the results.  There were a lot of other databases that I've never
> heard of before, a reference to Sun's Java DB on page two, and a
> reference to "Derby" on a Cloudscape site on page five.  But that was
> it.  I didn't bother looking beyond the first 20 pages.
>
> I then went to the Apache Derby homepage
> (http://db.apache.org/derby/index.html) and did a text search for
> "open".  Of all the pages that are "tabbed" at the top of the home page
> (Home, Quick Start, Download, Community, Documentation, Resources) only
> two had the phrase "open source" on them--and one of those was actually
> part of DOTS ("Database Open Source Test Suite").
>
> This doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it was so unexpected (to me
> anyways) that I thought I'd mention it.

hhhmmmmm, do you see this page show up anywhere in the hits?

http://projects.apache.org/projects/derby.html

it says "Apache Derby is an open source relational database implemented
entirely in Java. ...."

I can add "open source" to the basic definition on the home page at
http://db.apache.org/derby/index.html . I'd be curious to see if google
will then pick it up.

 -jean