db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: A random and unexpected observation...
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 22:54:06 GMT
Army wrote:
> For no apparent reason whatsoever I just decided to type "open source
> database" (without the quotes) into Google to see what I would get.
> To my incredible surprise Apache Derby didn't even make the top 20 pages
> of the results.  There were a lot of other databases that I've never
> heard of before, a reference to Sun's Java DB on page two, and a
> reference to "Derby" on a Cloudscape site on page five.  But that was
> it.  I didn't bother looking beyond the first 20 pages.
> I then went to the Apache Derby homepage
> (http://db.apache.org/derby/index.html) and did a text search for
> "open".  Of all the pages that are "tabbed" at the top of the home page
> (Home, Quick Start, Download, Community, Documentation, Resources) only
> two had the phrase "open source" on them--and one of those was actually
> part of DOTS ("Database Open Source Test Suite").
> This doesn't necessarily mean anything, but it was so unexpected (to me
> anyways) that I thought I'd mention it.

hhhmmmmm, do you see this page show up anywhere in the hits?

it says "Apache Derby is an open source relational database implemented
entirely in Java. ...."

I can add "open source" to the basic definition on the home page at
http://db.apache.org/derby/index.html . I'd be curious to see if google
will then pick it up.

> Feel free to ignore.
> Army