db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hille...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: broken network startup scripts
Date Tue, 27 Feb 2007 21:13:25 GMT
Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
> Andrew McIntyre wrote:
>> On 2/27/07, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Thanks for the quick response, Andrew. If we go with (4), then we have
>>> to change our attitude about the startup scripts. Right now they work
>>> out-of-the-box. With approach (4), they no longer work out-of-the-box.
>>> Instead, they are templates which have to be customized.
>>
>> Is adding an argument to the invocation of a script customizing a
>> template? The script itself need not be edited to start up the server.
>> Also, as of the moment, I believe this only affects the
>> startNetworkServer scripts, or did I miss something?
>>
>>> It would be nice to tell customers how to do this. What do you think:
>>> should we document this:
>>>
>>> a) in comments in the scripts themselves
>>> b) in the Admin Guide
>>> c) in the Getting Started Guide
>>> d) all of the above
>>> e) something else
>>
>> Since I've had some time to think about it a little more, I'd vote for
>> (e): (d) and make the script(s) smarter. e.g. if no arguments were
>> given to the script and the startNetworkServer initially fails to
>> start the network server, detect the exit code of 1, print a LOUD
>> warning, and start the server up with the -noSecurityManager flag.
>> Still starts the network server up with the behavior of the previous
>> release, and warns them that the server they just started up is
>> insecure. What do you think?
>
> I think just allowing the script to accept the -noSecurityManager flag
> is enough. Booting with no security when the user was expecting
> security seems like a huge problem to me. There's a very good chance
> that the startup is automated and no-one notices the server is being
> booted without security.
>
> I think some of this goes back to no good definition of what
> "secure-by-default" means. Without a good definition it's hard to make
> a decision as to if a behaviour is achieving the desired goal.
If someone wants to offer a definition, I'm eager to consider it. Here
are some related terms:

MaximallySecure: You might get close to this term by turning on every
security feature which Derby supports: Java Security, authentication,
authorization, encryption. Then again, maybe your policy file could be
tightened up. Maybe your authentication scheme could be improved. Maybe
you are running Derby in an environment which is unsecure for reasons
which Derby doesn't understand. MaximallySecure could be a fleeting
state of mind.

MinimallySecure: You might get close to this term by turning off every
security feature which Derby supports. Then again, by loading in some
dangerous user-defined procedures, you could make the situation
arbitrarily worse. Is MinimallySecure just a state of mind too?

SecureEnough: This could fall anywhere on the continuum between
MaximallySecure and MinimallySecure. SecureEnough slides around
depending on the application.

TooSecure: Slides around somewhere else on the continuum. Java Security
and encryption impose runtime costs, which some customers may not tolerate.

Unsecure: Slides around between MinimallySecure and SecureEnough.

secure-by-default: Right now, to me this looks like a factory-shipped
approximation of SecureEnough. The customer may appreciate this as
TooSecure or Unsecure.

We started down this path by deciding that MinimallySecure wasn't
SecureEnough. Later on, we decided not to require SQL authorization. So

   MaximallySecure >=
   TooSecure >
   secure-by-default >
   Unsecure >=
   MinimallySecure

I don't know how to characterize the security we're proposing for the
10.3 server:

ON: Java Security, authentication

OFF: authorization, disk encryption, wire encryption

MAYBE: username/password encryption

I'm not sure I can state what our model is.

Regards,
-Rick