db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Is it ok to use BigDecimalHandler in JUnit tests
Date Thu, 22 Feb 2007 21:32:02 GMT
Kathey Marsden wrote:
> Bryan Pendleton wrote:
>>> I am  converting parameterMapping to JUnit.  I am wondering if it is
>>> ok to use BigDecimalHandler in JUnit tests?
>>
>> Completely naive question: why wouldn't it be? Does this touch on
>> JDK portability somehow?
> My understanding was that at least some classes in
> java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/functionTests/util
> were being deprecated and replaced by something under
> java/testing/org/apache/derbyTesting/junit for use with junit tests.
>
> but I don't see anything under junit  that would replace BigDecimalHandler.

because it's been done as people come across the need. Thus it would be
good if you could move the code to junit package in the JDBC class.

Another issue is that at some point the base for trunk will change to
J2ME/CDC/Foundation 1.1 (see DERBY-2210) which does have BigDecimal but
does not have set/getBigDecimal.

This will change so that
   set/getObject() will return a BigDecimal for a DECIMAL column
   DECIMAL values can be passed into routines

So it might be worth converting the test assuming the above and just
don't run it on J2ME for now. Add a comment to DERBY-2210 that such a
test should be enabled once it is addressed.

Dan.