db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Q: Should Derby 10.3 be Derby 11?
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 06:14:24 GMT
Rick Hillegas wrote:
> Thanks for raising this issue, Bernt. Here's my $.02:
>
> Making Derby secure-by-default is a high priority for many people on
> this list. Since we're moving from wide-open, unsecure default behavior,
> we have a lot of work to do. I expect we'll be making significant
> security improvements for at least the next two feature releases. Once
> we start advertising Derby as a secure database, I think we're committed
> to closing security holes as they come up. I agree that we're changing
> the network server disruptively.

I think this discussion really needs to be grounded in some facts:

  1) about what backwards compatibility issues there are with the
various changes
  2) a good definition of "secure-by-default".

A wiki page with the proposed backwards compatibility issues listed
together and with definition(s) of secure-by-default would be good.
Since Rick seems to be proposing most of the backwards compatibility
issues he seems like a good candidate to write the initial version of
the page. :-) It could be just the collection of tables from the various
functional specs.

I don't think one can take a stand of compatibility is always better
than security or vice-versa, it's a case by case basis.

Dan.