db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Stanley Bradbury <Stan.Bradb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Need help on ORDER BY with expressions
Date Wed, 21 Feb 2007 00:40:11 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> I need some help understanding an example that was posted in DERBY-264.
> The example is:
>
> SELECT i, j FROM t ORDER BY f ( j )
>
> I understand all but " f ".  Is that supposed to be "function"?
>
> It would be better if I could see a real world example of using this
> type of expression in the ORDER BY clause.
>
> Thanks!
> Laura
    =   = SNIP =   =
Hi Laura -
My guess is that you are correct and the f stands for 'any function
name'.    My recommendation  is that the you use labels of the other
non-SQL-command objects in the example  like:

SELECT  <col-1>, <col-2> FROM <table1> ORDER BY
<function-identifier>(<col-2>)

Please check with whomever provide this example to be sure I am not
missing something esoteric  here.