db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From David Van Couvering <da...@vancouvering.com>
Subject Re: Q: Should Derby 10.3 be Derby 11?
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 22:17:25 GMT
I would like to suggest we include the user community on this
discussion. It is the users who are most impacted by decisions around
security and compatibility.

Making the call that secure-by-default trumps frictionless upgrade
really needs to be done with their input and overall approval.

For example, if most people are using Derby embedded, then
secure-by-default in terms of authentication seems to me very low
priority.  If I were a using Derby in embedded mode, and I were asked
which was more important, backward compatibility or secure by default, I
would definitely pick compatibility...

David