db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Bernt M. Johnsen" <Bernt.John...@Sun.COM>
Subject Q: Should Derby 10.3 be Derby 11?
Date Tue, 20 Feb 2007 12:24:38 GMT
Hi,

I raise this question because it has now been introduced functionality
that will make Derby 10.3 not entirely compatible with 10.2.

It might seem innocent, but I think it deserves some discussion.

With the "secure by default" functionality, Rick H. has committed a
patch which requires me in my environment to start using the new
-unsecure option when a started a network server.

Consider the follwing quotes from two ongoing issues which describes
incompatible behaviour:

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2196 :

http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-2264 :
> DBA Limits - The application may need to be changed to account for
> the fact that only the Database Owner can shutdown, encrypt, and
> upgrade a database.

So, the question is then: Is this a Derby 10 release, or should it
really be Derby 11?

Myself, I have no strong feelings, but wanted to raise the discussion.

Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway