db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From V Narayanan <V.Naraya...@Sun.COM>
Subject [LOB] Request for Advice in Implementing the stored procedures called by the LOB related JDBC methods.
Date Sat, 27 Jan 2007 17:47:23 GMT
Hi,

I am working on implementing the Stored procedures, related to adding
support to retrieving lobs from Network Server by locator rather than by
materializing the LOB.

The network client will request LOB columns to be sent as LOB Locators
instead of data value bytes. Since the client no longer has a copy of
the LOB data value bytes, operations on the LOB data will be performed
on the server side, and the results of these operations will be sent to
the client. The client will request the execution of an operation by the
server by calling a stored procedure.

I am having the following queries in mind for which I humbly request for
advice from the community.

1) Would it be a problem if the stored functions are visible to users
2) Where should the functions be placed? I had the following options
 a) SYSFUN - did not seem the right place since all the functions here
seemed to called by the
         users
 b) SYSIBM - used for metadata functions
 c) SYSCS_UTIL