db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel John Debrunner <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Testing implementation of private classes
Date Thu, 18 Jan 2007 15:42:48 GMT
Kristian Waagan wrote:
>> Daniel John Debrunner wrote:
>>> Julius.Stroffek wrote:
> [ snip - suggestion about using non-standard option -Xbootclasspath ]
>>
>> Does anyone see any showstoppers for this approach?
>> I tested a small sample with Sun VMs. Does it work for VMs from other
>> vendors?
>
> FYI, I tested this with IBM's VMs (1.4 and 1.5) and also with JRockit
> (1.4 and 1.5). They all seem to honor the
> -Xbootclasspath/a:<comma-separated-list> option/syntax.

Is it possible to determine if the test class is running from the
bootclasspath? This would then allow the suite() method to determine if
the class should run or not. Seems like the unit package-protected class
tests should only run if:
   using classes || loaded from boot classpath

And potentially some functional tests should not run in the boot
classpath, e.g. those that would test what happens if a security
permission is not granted, e.g. create a database in a folder with no
write permission. I'm assuming here that classes in the boot class path
have all permissions, is that correct?

Thanks,
Dan.