db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Jean T. Anderson" <...@bristowhill.com>
Subject Re: Graphic Alt text (for accessibility) does not appear in Firefox (does appear in IE) - Derby-1842
Date Tue, 16 Jan 2007 23:05:02 GMT
Laura Stewart wrote:
> For Derby-1842, I updated the alternate text (aka Alt text). The Alt
> text appears when you hover your mouse pointer over a graphic image in
> Internet Explorer but not in Firefox.
>
> Does anyone know why?

A google search popped up this reference which says firefox uses the alt
tag as intended:
http://www.w3schools.com/tags/tag_img.asp

Look at the section titled "Mozilla Firefox and the alt Attribute." It
says "title" enables mouseover comments, so I tried that with one of
your files and it worked (mouseover now displays the info); however, it
truncates everything past the first &#10; .

On Safari, mouseover displays nothing when "alt" is used, but shows the
complete text when "title" is used.

 -jean