db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Army <qoz...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Regression Test Report - tinderbox_trunk15 491632 - Sun DBTG
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 15:59:39 GMT
Oystein Grovlen - Sun Norway wrote:
> I seem to recall than in a discussion on optimizer timeout it was said
> that the optimizer will terminate if it has run for longer than the
> so-far lowest estimate for running a query.  I guess that could result
> in a less optimal plan on a slow computer.  Maybe this is what is
> occurring here?

I think both the wisconsin and the predicatePushdown tests run with timeout
disabled (i.e. with the property "derby.optimizer.noTimeout=true" in their
respective _derby.properties files).  So in theory that should not be the
problem...(though of course the theory could be wrong).

I think Knut Anders made some good observations regarding the predicatePushdown
failure; see his comments on DERBY-1902.  If anyone knows the answers to the
questions he posted there (I don't), that might be a good place to start...

Army