db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Ole Solberg <Ole.Solb...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Regression Test Report - tinderbox_trunk15 491632 - Sun DBTG
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 10:58:30 GMT
Knut Anders Hatlen wrote:
> Bryan Pendleton <bpendleton@amberpoint.com> writes:
>
>> Myrna van Lunteren wrote:
>>> Did the patch for DERBY-2202 (revision 491632) introduce this failure
>>> in predicatePushdown? Does this require a separate bug?
>> It certainly might have.
>>
>> I did not see any failures when I ran derbyall prior to commit,
>> but perhaps I have a different environment?
>>
>> I'm having trouble coming up with a way that the DERBY-2202 change
>> would have caused a different query plan to be chosen.
>
> I believe predicatePushdown has failed every now and then since it was
> added. DERBY-1902 and DERBY-1720 are logged for similar failures. I
> would guess it is the same instability as we see in the Wisconsin test
> and some of the other tests that print query plans.

I rebuilt from the same source, but now with 'debug=false' and ran
derbyall on the same host: predicatePushdown did NOT fail.
So this seems to be the same instability as in e.g. the Wisconsin test,
and triggered by larger/slower(?) code causing an unexpected query plan
to be chosen.

--
Ole Solberg, Database Technology Group,
Sun Microsystems, Trondheim, Norway