db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Knut Anders Hatlen <Knut.Hat...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Releasing latches when waiting for locks. When and why?
Date Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:03:51 GMT
Suresh Thalamati <suresh.thalamati@gmail.com> writes:

> If we are removing Latching  out of LockManager for perfromance
> reasons, my preference also would be to handle at  the page level,
> instead of having yet another indirection.
>
> As Mike mentioned , it would be nice to have a VTI that will show the
> latches in the system.

It should be doable to write a VTI which scans the page cache and
shows which pages are latched and by whom they are latched. With that
approach it would probably be difficult to ensure that we get a
consistent view since the latches may change while we're scanning the
cache. But perhaps that's good enough for debugging purposes?

--
Knut Anders