db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Raymond Raymond" <raymond_de...@hotmail.com>
Subject A question about some synchronized code
Date Wed, 20 Dec 2006 21:34:34 GMT
Today, when I read the source code of
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.CachedPage.java,
I found some synchronized code like:

public boolean isDirty()    {
   synchronized (this)  {
       return isDirty || preDirty;
   }
}

public boolean isActuallyDirty() {
   synchronized (this) {
       return isDirty;
   }
}

I have two questions about them, hope someone can answer me:
1. Is it necessary to synchronize the code in these places?
2. I saw someone else commented on some code (in derby) said it's not
   good to return from inside of a synchronized block. What potential
problem
   it will cause if return from inside of a synchronized block?

Raymond

Enter the "Telus Mobility Xbox a Day" contest for your chance to WIN!  Telus
Mobility is giving away an Microsoft Xbox® 360 every day from November 20 to
December 31, 2006! Just download Windows Live (MSN) Messenger to your
IM-capable TELUS mobile phone, and you could be a winner!
http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/