db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Raymond Raymond" <raymond_de...@hotmail.com>
Subject A question about synchronization in Derby
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 16:30:16 GMT
Today, when I read the source code of
org.apache.derby.impl.store.raw.data.CachedPage.java,

I found some synchronized code like:

public boolean isDirty()    {

    synchronized (this)  {

        return isDirty || preDirty;

    }

}

public boolean isActuallyDirty() {

    synchronized (this) {

        return isDirty;

    }

}

I have two questions about them, hope someone can answer me:

1. Is it necessary to synchronize the code in these places?

2. I saw someone else commented on some code (in derby) said it's not

    good to return from inside of a synchronized block. What potential
problem

    it will cause if return from inside of a synchronized block?

Raymond

Off to school, going on a trip, or moving? Windows Live (MSN) Messenger lets
you stay in touch with friends and family wherever you go. Click here to
find out how to sign up!  http://www.telusmobility.com/msnxbox/