db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Laura Stewart" <scotsmat...@gmail.com>
Subject Questions about committing doc patches
Date Mon, 04 Dec 2006 19:23:19 GMT
As a new committer, I will be looking at doc patches to commit.

I have looked over the instructions at:
http://db.apache.org/derby/manuals/dita.html#Committing+documentation+patches
and have a few questions.  After I understand these steps, we might
want to update the steps with a little more explanation :-)

Step 3
If your machine is a different architecture from the machine on which
the patch was created, convert the file.

Question - Aren't all patch files diff files? How will I know that the
patch was created on a different machine?  I use Windows, what should
I look for to know that the patch was created in UNIX?  Is the syntax:
unix2dos patch.diff      or       unix2dos > patch.diff  ?

Step 4
Apply the patch:
patch -p0 < patch.diff

Question - I am not sure what this syntax means.  The name of the
patch appears to be patch.diff.  What then is -p0?  The directional
arrow indicates that the patch.diff should be going to (or redirected
to) -p0.  Please explain the syntax to me.

Step 5
Check modifications with 'svn status' and add any files that need it:

Question - So I run "svn status".  Even though the person who
submitted the patch has already added new files using "svn add", I
will need to do it again for the new files?  Is that because the svn
add is only applied to the local copy of the source files?

Step 7
Commit the changes.

Question - There are no instructions here... is this simply done by
running an svn commit command? Is there anything else that needs to be
specified? What if the patch was not created at the trunk level?  We
should document (somewhere) what to do in that case.

Other questions -

Are there any specific checks that committers perform when committing
documentation (vs code) patches?

What if there is a problem with the commit?  Will I see something immediately?

What if a patch has to be backed out?

Thanks!
--
Laura Stewart