db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] 10.2.2.0 release
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 06:42:08 GMT
On 12/11/06, Rick Hillegas <Richard.Hillegas@sun.com> wrote:
> Please download and test-drive the 10.2.2.0 candidate, then vote on
> whether to accept it as a Derby release. The candidate lives at:
>
>     http://people.apache.org/~rhillegas/10.2.2.0/
>
> The polls close at 5:00 pm San Francisco time next Monday, December 18.

Verified all the signatures, checked the contents of each
distribution, and ran tests on a couple of platforms (and yes, I
copied the test jars into the same dir as the engine/net jars when
running tests). Everything looked good. The contents of tools/jdbc4
are obviously no longer needed, but can be removed in some future
release.

I agree with Dan that the release notes' 'Issues' section is somewhat
confusing, or at least confusingly titled. I think that maybe what is
needed is an 'outstanding quality issues' vs. 'intentional changes in
behavior' list. It seems to me that most of the content of the
'Issues' section are intentional, (hopefully-)positive changes in
behavior of the engine, client, or tools. Calling these 'Issues' is at
least a misnomer, and at worst misdirection, possibly leading a user
to think that they may need to code around what are actually positive
changes in Derby's behavior. Since the release notes may be the only
piece of documentation long-time Derby users bother to review, it
would be good to polish up these little bits of language to be more
accurate. But, not worth holding up this release, anyway.

So, on the whole, looks great. My vote: +1

andrew