db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From "Andrew McIntyre" <mcintyr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Graphic files - where to store the CDR files
Date Sat, 16 Dec 2006 06:13:29 GMT
On 12/15/06, Laura Stewart <scotsmatrix@gmail.com> wrote:

> The graphic files in the Derby documentation are generated from
> CorelDraw and then output into 3 formats: JPG, EPS, and GIF.  I
> noticed that the CDR files are not stored with the source.  Should
> they be added to the source or stored somewhere else?

Maybe a better question is whether or not there is a different, open
format with which we can store the vector graphic files which get
translated to GIF (for the HTML) or JPG (for the HTML Book and PDF)
other than the Corel Draw format in which the graphics were originally
created.

The format that comes immediately to mind is SVG (Scalable Vector
Graphics). If the original CorelDraw format files can be converted to
the XML-based SVG format, then it would be possible for anyone with an
SVG-aware graphics editing tool to edit the source files, and I think
it may also possible to include the SVG files directly in the DITA XML
during the doc build.

Do you know if it is possible to convert these CorelDraw files to the
SVG format?

andrew