db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Bryan Pendleton <bpendle...@amberpoint.com>
Subject Re: Questions about committing doc patches
Date Fri, 15 Dec 2006 01:28:39 GMT
> I feel like a dolt.

Please don't! This is a complicated process, and it takes everybody
a while to get their system set up successfully.

> #3 - Myrna commented "and that you've got an environment variable
> $SVN_EDITOR set to some editor accessible on your PATH. (to vi, for
> example)."

FWIW, I don't do this part. Instead, I *always* prepare commit messages
ahead of time in simple text files, and then when I commit I use the
"--file" argument to pass my file to subversion. This way you can use
whatever editor you want, without having to figure out how to integrate
it with subversion.

There are many roads to Rome, and I don't think you *have* to have
your environment be identical to somebody else's. The important part
is that you understand how your environment works, and you can do the
necessary tasks successfully.

thanks,

bryan