db-derby-dev mailing list archives

From Rajesh Kartha <karth...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: query length
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2006 17:54:26 GMT
Marcin Skladaniec wrote:

> Hi !
> I asked a question about the maximum query length on the user mailing
> list, but no one answered.
> Does someone from the dev list know the answer to my question ?
> Regards
> Marcin
>
> Begin forwarded message:
>
>> From: Marcin Skladaniec <marcin@ish.com.au>
>> Date: 6 December 2006 6:20:32 PM
>> To: derby-user@db.apache.org
>> Subject: query length
>>
>> hello !
>> Is there a limit to the query length ?
>> When I execute long query (more than about 1000 characters, but  less
>> than 64000) i get weird exceptions.
>>
>> Squirrel-sql reports StackOverflowError, but some exceptions seems
>> to be munched internally and never pop up, cause when not using
>> squirrel-sql I'm getting class org.apache.derby.client.net.NetSqlca
>> in response.
>>
>> Marcin

Hi Marcin,

Some questions:

What version of Derby are you using and what is the nature of the query
you are executing ?  ~1000 characters does not
seem that long for a query, I have seen queries > 2000 characters
working in Derby
(for example http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DERBY-1315)

Not sure if it is Squirrel that is causing the error,  did  you try
running your query  using the Derby command line tool - ij ?

Is it possible to post the stack trace and a reproduction of the issue.

-Rajesh